Illinois Department of Natural Resources Legal Counsel is responsible for providing advice to the Department on all legal matters. In particular, the office:
- Coordinates the Department's efforts with the Attorney General's Office when the Department seeks a legal remedy against another party.
- Reviews all complaints, pleadings and legal memoranda regarding any lawsuit brought against the Department in the Court of Claims and coordinates the Department's efforts with the Attorney General's Office in the defense of such claim.
- Prepares legal memoranda on matters of law including the interpretation of statutes, administrative rules and other regulations affecting the Department and its staff.
- Assists in drafting or reviewing legislation which affects Department policies.
- Reviews and approves all legal documents executed by the director or his designees such as contracts, Memorandum of Understanding, etc.
- Administers the Department's administrative rule program.
- Provides legal counsel and assistance to all Office Directors and the various divisions within the offices.
- Assists States Attorneys in the prosecution of criminal matters relating to the Department.
Jeff Smith, General Counsel
Robert G. Mool, Legal Counsel
Shelly Knuppel, Legal Counsel
George Sisk, Legal Counsel
Julia Lawrence, Legal Counsel
Nick San Diego, Legal Counsel
Brendan Dailey, Legislative Counsel
Felicia Page, Legal Counsel
Jacob Smallhorn, Legal Counsel
Ronda Brown, Administrative Assistant